Speaker Arrays

• Автор темы Max H

Max H

Местный
First please excuse me for posting in English - my navigation of this website so far has been based on guess work, online translation, and the fact that some Russian words are very similar to English words, when dealing with technical subjects.

On a recent trip to Minsk, I was exposed for the first time to Soviet, Russian, and Belarus made electronics. Upon doing some research, I discovered that many speakers are still made in Russia, and from external appearance and specifications they appear to be quite similar to what was made here in Canada, in the 1950s - early 1980s, before our industry left us. As a souvenir, I bought a Horizont FM radio, which contains a speaker marked
3гдш-2. the radio sounds good, but as a person who can not resist a speaker or amplifier project the speaker driver got me thinking.

It seems to me that this speaker would be quite suitable for a line array design, or perhaps a 4x4 speaker array of the "sweet sixteen" variety which was popular in the early 1960s in the USA. The only difference being that I would use oval rather than round speakers, because of their superior high frequency dispersion.

Have any experiments been done in Russia using arrays of multiple small speakers, as a substitute for an ordinary multi way speaker system? If so, which is the preferred domestic driver for this arrangement? The USA made drivers used for this type of arrangement are long out of production, and the ones which remain are too expensive to make an array worth building!

I realize that this type of design is not the road to high end audio; however, it could help me get the sound out of my SE 2A3 amplifier, at a low cost! Looking at suppliers in Moscow, the cost for Russian made speakers is very low, so such a project could be cheap fun provided I take the speakers home as part of my luggage next time I make a trip to Eastern Europe!

Speaker arrays 4x4 have been shortly discussed at this forum several times, but the people who had heard such kind of arrays didn’t notice a good quality of sound in stereo system. Probably it is due to the fact that such arrays unlike a single source give very strong interference in horizontal plane. But the sensitivity of these arrays was found to be very high, which is of course no bad.

Line arrays are comparatively new speaker systems and there isn’t enough information about them from practical point of view, for home use. Not long time ago I was interested very much in such systems. I was considering to prepare a line array using not 3ГДШ-2 but 5ГДШ-1. This is also a good speaker, even better than 3ГДШ-2 and cheaper. I thought that 8 or more speakers arranged in an open air system will be good. But I did not find any practical information, especially, how will it sound (theoretical publications show a lot of problems with interference in the vertical plane and bass and middle ranges concordance). So my project is still in the stage of waiting.

Concerning the speakers, you are right, 3ГДШ-2 sounds good and some people use it in their tube audio systems.

Max H

Местный
Line Arrays

Thank you. It seems that nobody has had good results with the "square" array, so maybe I should focus my attention on line arrays, if I want to get the best out of small speakers.

If you visit <www.audioasylum.com> and do a search in the forum "high efficiency speaker asylum", you will find many references to line array speakers, and even some good papers prepared about them. There are also a number of commercial products and kits on the market. The Bottlehead "Straight 8" was on the market for a while, and always had good reviews.

I have no personal experience with any of them, the closest I have owned, is a pair of Magneplanar MG-IIB planar magnetic speakers, which have "woofer" and "tweeter" panels about the same width and length as the combined area of the drivers in a line array. The dimensions of the drivers make for a very spacious sound, but I could not live with the many disadvantages found in Magneplanar speakers (very poor efficiency, and uneven bass response), so stopped using them.

Thanks for telling me about the 5ГДШ-1, I will try to find some data on it. I am glad I am not the only one who thought that the 3ГДШ-2 has potential, even despite the cheap IC amplifier present in my radio, it seems like a much better speaker than the usual low grade parts coming out of Asia, and an excellent candidate for a low budget speaker design! Also, the 3ГДШ-2 sounds like it has a fairly high Q, making it suitable for an open back speaker design.

I have the same concerns as you regarding the theoretical problems found in line arrays, however, I have read many articles detailing successful line array projects - if I can keep the cost low, I think it's a worthwhile experiment. The worst case is that I will waste some time, some wood, and have a lot of extra small speakers sitting on a shelf somewhere.

You are quite right, 3ГДШ-2 is for an open back speaker design, Qts=1.7.
The data of many Soviet and Russian speakers you can find here:
https://audioportal.su/files/p13_sectionid/13/p13_fileid/317
(just press the button "скачать"). It is in DjVu format, if your PC doesn't read it you can download the program which is also on that page.
I hope it will not be a problem for you to understand what is what in the tables in Russian.

Max H

Местный
Thanks very much for the speaker data! I had no problem to understand it, except the 6th column, I am not sure what it means.

I could not find a supplier for the 5ГДШ-1, but I found the 3ГДШ-2 for ~ $3.50/unit, newly made. I'm going to order 10 pcs, and build two open back line array cabinets for them, 4 per side, with two spare. I will use only 4 per side to keep cost and size down - 8 would be better for efficiency.

I will report back to this website with results, and photos, once I get them together.
Max

ua1ong

Местный
Сфигеть можа, какие стали популярными.

Fil

Местный
Аха, скоро на них цены как на AD1 взлетят :D

ua1ong

Местный
А я их повыкидывал.

Max H

Местный
My mistake, I meant the 5th column - the 6th is, of course, impedance.

Борода

Местный
Сфигеть можа, какие стали популярными.
Мне кажется, что товарищ просто в английском практикуется.:D
В детстве мне и не такое приходило в голову - сделать колонку из... множества телефонных наушников. К счастью, до реализации дело так и не дошло.
Хотя "четверку резвых" на 4гд8е я делал - ох, и орала же она, я вам скажу, когда я к ней гитару подключал!
Аж ухи закладывало.:D

Max H

Местный
This is the Russian quality factor - the bigger is the better!:ku) Joke!

nonlinearity in dB!

So this is similar to +/- xx dB, in ordinary specs - thank you.

My motivation for this project, is simply, to make a pair of inexpensive, high efficency speakers, which are a bit different from normal.

I continue to be fascinated with the old idea that many cheap (small) speakers together can sound as good or better than one good (larger) speaker. Although all technical data seems to tell me it's a bad idea, I want to try it for myself. I am encouraged by how good the one 3DGSH-2, in my Horizont radio, sounds, and it will interesting to try this model of speaker though the real stereo.

In my past experience, speakers with limited frequency response (old QUAM alnico speakers) sound great with old records, whose defects are hard to hide on my good (Tannoy) speakers. It is not the same as a good record on the Tannoys, but still enjoyable. I am hoping that the Rusaudio speakers will have a similar masking effect, but yet still let enough detail though to be enjoyable

I have arranged to order the speakers now, so it's just a matter of waiting for the post office to do its work.

Max H

Местный
Today, 10 units of 3ГДШ-2 arrived. I am listening to one in mono now, on an open baffle, and it sounds very good. I am looking forward to seeing how it works in a more developed enclosure/baffle.

Сверху

all-audio.problack-job.netkakbik.infomanagement-club.comsafe-crypto.mevse-multiki.comultrasoft.solutions